Friday, June 28, 2024

Program-It's A Sign

No major blocks of text this time around, but I just wished to highlight one of the better new records I have heard this year from this Melbourne band as we approach the midway mark of year 24. Overall their sound jumps right out of the speakers somewhere between the Chills, the Clean, the Apples in Stereo, EZTV and early Teenage Fanclub. My favorites are where they pick up the pace and cut down the meanderings and go into a sort of Ramones-mode. “Precious Things” follows Joey back to the “7-11” and the riveting “Live Without” is top level stripped-down rock‘n’roll excellence somewhere between Hunx and His Punx and the Lifeforms.  “Everything & Co.” stomps like the Troggs (on their album with R.E.M.), while flowing along like my favorite current Italian band Hakan.



I did listen to their previous record, 2019’s Show Me and It’s a Sign is meters/miles ahead in production, execution and delivery. I hope they will continue to make every song as propulsive, poppy and catchy as the aforementioned and keep leaning towards the Ramones and step off the Pavement. However, I understand their need for contrast and appeal somewhat to the ‘90s revival. Time will tell where they will go next. For now, they have some standout songs that coincide with my favorite cover art of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Another good one, Ted! -jim mc

    ReplyDelete